Why should I Join
Last Updated on Thursday, 24 January 2013 00:25
People join the Ypsilanti Area Jaycees for a variety of reasons:
- Some are looking to expand their circle of social and business contacts.
- Others are looking to find opportunities to volunteer & participate in community service projects
- Others are looking to develop professional or personal skills or find ways to advance their career or business
Our programming is broken down into four main areas -- Community Development, Individual Development, Management Development and Membership Development. Below we'll explain a little about each and what benefits each can offer our members.
Community projects help individuals, non-profits and the community at large. These projects help our members by:
- Helping them find volunteer opportunities, and a group of like-minded individuals who want to make a difference in the community
- Help planning and executing a project to help a cause they are passionate about. Many members join with a cause they care about, and often in the course of their time in the Jaycees, they get a chance to develop or run a project to help that cause
Individual Development provides skills training in a variety of areas. These can be fun things like cooking, crafts, ballroom dancing, karaoke, or things like public speaking, financial planning, or wage negotiation.
- Provide opportunities for a bunch of trainings which can be fun, and very useful and practical and sometimes both
- Many members have something they've always wanted to learn. They often run a project with the chapter's help, and get to learn a skill and introduce others to it too in the process
The Management area covers chapter operations like fund-raising, strategic planning, & PR, but it also fosters networking opportunities for our members to meet business and community leaders in Ypsilanti.
- Many of the skills learned in running a chapter, or chapter projects are directly transferable to a professional context.
- Networking -- by joining the Jaycees you get the opportunity to meet many people in a variety of careers and professions which could be future business contacts, or clients
- Advertising - As a member you get to place an ad in our monthly newsletter, and place your business in our print & online business directory. Many people find this is worth the cost of their yearly dues alone.
- Membership in the Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti Regional Chamber of Commerce - As a member of the Jaycees you gain all the privileges of being a member of the chamber
The Membership area focuses on recruiting members, and making sure our current members are having a good experience and getting what they want out of the organization. The Membership area provides a variety of things for our members:
- A variety of social activities throughout the year, including General Membership Meetings, "Finally Friday" (a monthly social), and more.
- Orientation for new members which helps them get the most out of their Jaycee experience.
As a group of over 75 young adults, we have a varied membership from many different careers, with many different individual interests. As a group, we gain from that diversity when they share their interests by running a project, or their knowledge when running a training. We run 40-60 different projects a year, and have a wide variety of activities and projects. (See a sample here). We truly believe we have something to offer anyone.If all of this sounds good to you follow the link to Request More Info.